How to calculate your benefits
To estimate the value of the benefits in your Scottish Teachers’ pension scheme, just download our handy calculator. It will then predict the likely value of your pension and any lump sum on any retirement date selected by you.
It's a Microsoft Excel file and covers the needs of most* members of the Scottish Teachers’ Superannuation Scheme and the Scottish Teachers’ Pension Scheme 2015 – as well as members who have benefits in more than one section or scheme. When you use the calculator you'll get:
- an illustration (at today’s value) of the benefits that could become payable from your Scottish Teachers’ pension schemes at a retirement date selected by you
- a description of the benefits payable for each scheme you've been a member of
- an estimate of the maximum lump sum that could be payable
- a printable copy of your personal illustration.
You may find it useful to have your most recent Annual Benefit Statement available while you're using the calculator. You should also:
- make sure you've read the notes and assumptions on the calculator
- know the date you joined the scheme
- know your current pensionable pay
- know any service credited from a transfer in (final salary scheme only).
Please note that the illustration is not a guarantee, nor is the calculator intended to provide you with financial advice. If you require financial advice, you should contact an independent financial adviser.
*The calculator does not cover the effect of pensions tax charges on your benefits; details of future state pension or private pension provision; details of pension benefits for part-time workers with more than one employment; ill health benefits; survivor benefits payable in the event of your death; optional benefits, such as added years, additional pension, additional voluntary contributions, faster accrual or standard buy-out elections.
Technical support: Note that the Microsoft Excel file type may not be compatible with devices that don't support Microsoft products and may not work if you don't have access to an application that can read this type of file. If you have any issues with the Teachers’ Pension Calculator, please contact us.
Glossary of commonly used terms.