Absence from work

On this page:

  • Career breaks

Information about how to apply for career breaks and how this might affect your pension.

Career Breaks

What happens to your Police pension when you take a career break

If you take a career break, you must return to the scheme within five years if your pension is to be revalued in line with increases in the Consumer Prices Index plus 1.25%. If you do not return within five years, it will be increased by the Consumer Price Index alone.

If you have full or tapered protection you’ll only be able to return to either the Police 1987 or Police 2006 schemes if your tapered protection has not expired and your career break didn’t last more than five years. If you also have benefits in either the Police 1987 or Police 2006 scheme, you must return from a career break within five years in order to maintain the link to your final pensionable pay.

Was this information useful?
Your feedback helps us to improve this website. Do not give any personal information because we cannot reply to you directly.