Important COVID-19 (Coronavirus) information:

All ill health award and medical Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP) applications should be submitted in accordance with normal SPPA guidance, however if you anticipate a delay in being able to source the required medical evidence, you must submit details of your individual situation along with the application form.

How to get help if you have a query or complaint

If you're in any doubt about your Local Government Pension Scheme benefit entitlements, or have a problem or question about your scheme membership or benefits, please contact your pension fund administrator.

They'll seek to clarify, or put right, any misunderstandings or inaccuracies as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If your query is about your contribution rate, please contact your employer’s Personnel/HR or Payroll section so they can explain how they've calculated your contribution rate.

If you're still dissatisfied with any decision made in relation to the scheme you have the right to have your complaint independently reviewed under the scheme’s Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure. There are also a number of other regulatory bodies that may be able to help you.

Before appealing through the IDRP process, you may wish to consider discussing a potential complaint with a member of the Pensions Ombudsman’s Early Resolution Team. They can also support you through the process, and you can reach their helpline at: 

Phone: 0800 917 4487 (selecting the relevant option) 

Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure

Your pension fund administrator or your employer can supply you with a guide on the Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure. They'll also explain the relevant time limits and give you a form to fill in for Stage 1 appeals.

Stage 1: You should write to the person nominated by the body who made the decision that you're appealing against. You must do this within six months of the date of the notification of the decision, or the act or omission, that you're appealing against. This is a formal review of the initial decision or act or omission and it's an opportunity for the matter to be reconsidered. The nominated person will consider your complaint and notify you of their decision.

Stage 2: If you're dissatisfied with their decision you may apply to the Scottish Ministers for them to consider your complaint. Under Stage 2 of the Internal Disputes Resolution Procedures, Scottish Ministers are asked to reconsider decisions reached by employers under the Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) Regulations.

Please note: An application must be made within 6 months from the date of the IDRP Stage 1 decision letter.

For Stage 2 complaints, use the Medical IDRP2 Application for medical appeals and the Non-Medical IDRP2 Application for all other appeals.

Pensions Ombudsman

If you're not satisfied with the decision by Scottish Ministers, you can refer your complaint to The Pensions Ombudsman, free of charge.

The Pensions Ombudsman deals with complaints and disputes which concern the administration and management of occupational and personal pension schemes. Complaint applications need to be made within three years of when the event occured or, if later, within three years of when you first knew about it (or ought to have known about it). In some cases these time limits may be extended.

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman can consider complaints which relate to the administrative actions of SPPA, they can't accept complaints which relate to decisions or omissions relating to provisions of pension regulations. You should contact SPSO directly to discuss whether your complaint can be considered.

Further information

The Money and Pensions Service