How to re-join the Scottish Teachers' pension scheme

On this page:

  • Who is eligible to re-join 
  • How to re-join

You can re-join following career breaks, changes in jobs or following periods where you've opted out of making payments to the scheme.

If you’re looking to re-join the scheme, you need to contact your employer and ask them to re-enrol you. To re-join, you’ll have to be:

  • aged between 16 and 75, and;
  • be employed in an established local authority, independent school or further education establishment that's been accepted into the scheme by Scottish Ministers.

You can re-join the scheme by contacting your employer and letting them know you want to start contributing again, or, when you take up teaching employment, you’re automatically enrolled.

Was this information useful?
Your feedback helps us to improve this website. Do not give any personal information because we cannot reply to you directly.