About the Scottish Teachers’ Superannuation Scheme
The Scottish Teachers’ Superannuation Scheme provides final salary related retirement benefits to its members as well as valuable death benefits for their dependants. The scheme closed to new members from 1 April 2015 with existing members either remaining in the scheme or transitioning to the Scottish Teachers Pension Scheme 2015 at a later date.
- Minimum pension age of 55
- Normal pension age of 60 for members who joined prior to 1 April 2007
- Normal pension age of 65 for members who joined on or after 1 April 2007
- Pension based on your reckonable service and final pensionable salary
- Pension based on 1/80th of your reckonable service for each year of service if you have a normal pension age of 60
- Pension based on 1/60th of your reckonable service for each year of service if you have a normal pension age of 65
- Tax free lump sum option at retirement (automatic for members with a normal pension age of 60)
- Valuable death benefits for your dependants on death
- Ill health retirement options if you’re permanently unable to undertake any paid work
- Options to transfer in from other pension schemes
- Phased retirement arrangements.