Your pension is a valuable benefit

If you're a new police officer in Scotland between the ages of 16 and 75, you'll be automatically enrolled in the Scottish Police Pension Scheme 2015 when you join Police Scotland.

This applies if you're joining the pension scheme for the first time and if you're re-joining after a break of five years or more.

The normal pension age for this scheme is 60 and it's a defined benefit scheme which, after 2 years’ qualifying service, provides you with a pension payable for life on your retirement.

Your scheme membership also entitles you to:

  • the option to exchange part of your pension for a tax free lump sum when you retire
  • tax relief on your pension contributions
  • valuable benefits for your dependants when you die
  • the option to nominate an individual, or individuals, to receive a lump sum payable in the event of your death
  • the option to increase your benefits by paying extra contributions which can be deducted along with your regular contributions or paid as a lump sum
  • options to apply to retire early if you're unable to work due to ill health.

Both you and your employer contribute towards the cost of your pension. All police officers pay a flat rate of 13.46% of pensionable pay, irrespective of rank and contributions are deducted from your pay before tax is applied – so you pay less tax. If you work part-time you'll only make contributions based on your part-time earnings

Death benefits nomination form and partner nomination form

As well as providing you with an income in retirement, membership of the scheme also provides valuable benefits for your dependants when you die. You can use this form to nominate the beneficiaries you'd like to receive a lump sum payment in the event of your death.

If you have a non-legal partner, you can use this form to nominate them as your beneficiary in the event of your death. 

Changing your details

To amend personal details including a change of address, name or marital status please email us.

Please include your National Insurance number on all correspondence and any relevant documentation (for example, marriage certificate).

Alternatively these changes can be made by writing to:

Police Pensions Team

Scottish Public Pensions Agency

7 Tweedside Park




Was this information useful?