About the NHS Scotland 2015 scheme
The NHS Scotland Pension Scheme 2015 replaced the previous schemes on 1 April 2015. All new NHS employees in Scotland are now automatically enrolled in to the scheme. Additionally, if you’ve previously been a member of one of the earlier NHS pension schemes in Scotland, you may have been transitioned to the 2015 scheme already – or you will be at an agreed date in the future, depending on your protection status.
The scheme is a high quality workplace pension scheme that offers defined benefits at retirement and protection for your dependents based on your career average earnings.
A full Equality Impact Assessment was carried out prior to the implementation of the Scheme which assessed the impact of the new arrangements on affected groups with protected characteristics in the NHS in Scotland.
- Benefits accrued on a Career Average Revalued Earnings (CARE) basis.
- Normal pension age the same as the your State Pension Age.
- Pension accrual rate of 1/54th of pensionable earnings each year.
- Benefits for active members revalued each year using the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) plus 1.5%.
- Benefits for preserved members increased using the CPI each year.
- Valuable death benefits for your dependents.
- Option to take part of your pension and continue working.
- Enhanced pension for working longer than normal pension age.
- Option to purchase additional pension.
- Option to buy out the actuarial reduction if retiring from age 65 and before state pension age.
- Option to take up to 25% of pension pot as a tax-free lump sum.
Looking for specific information about your 2015 pension or need to know how to use our services? These links will take you to relevant pages that can help:
How the 2015 scheme is calculated
An infographic (opens a new tab) that shows how your Career Average Revalued Earnings pension is calculated.
Our pension calculator can give you an estimate of what you may be entitled to when you choose to retire.
Pension estimates and your Annual Benefit Statement
Information about pension estimates and your annual benefit statements, including how to access them.
Joining the 2015 Scheme
Information for new members of the scheme, including how to top up or transfer-in another pension.
Find out about how much of your salary you contribute to your pension.
Leaving the NHS or opting-out of the scheme
Learn more about what to do if you want to stop paying into your pension pot or are thinking about leaving NHS employment.
Transferring another pension into the NHS scheme
A step-by-step guide to help you transfer another pension into the NHS scheme.
Information for members and dependents in the event that a scheme member dies whilst still in service or after retirement.
Information for members who were previously paying into the 1995 or 2008 scheme and received tapered protection when the 2015 scheme was introduced.
Find out if you are eligible for injury benefits if you have been injured whilst at work.
Paying for additional pension benefits
Find out how to contribute more into your pension scheme so that you can increase your entitlement when you retire.