How to calculate your benefits
To get a quick estimate of the benefits your NHS pension scheme will provide on any retirement date selected by you, just download our handy calculator.
It's a Microsoft Excel file and covers the needs of most* members of the 1995 Section, the 2008 Section and the 2015 Scheme - as well as members who have benefits in more than one section or scheme. When you use the calculator you'll get:
- an illustration of the benefits that could become payable from your NHS pension schemes at a retirement date selected by you, at today's value
- a description of the benefits payable for each scheme you've been a member of
- an estimate of the maximum lump sum that could be payable
- a printable copy of your personal illustration.
You may find it useful to have your most recent Annual Benefit Statement available while you're using the calculator. You should also:
- make sure you've read the notes and assumptions on the calculator
- know the date you joined the scheme
- know your current pensionable pay
- know any service credited from a transfer in (final salary scheme only).
Please note that the illustration is not a guarantee, nor is the calculator intended to provide you with financial advice. If you require financial advice, you should contact an independent financial adviser.
*The calculator only covers Practitioner calculations for Practitioners with 2015 Scheme benefits. It also does not cover: Mental Health Officer status; members who moved from the 1995 section to the 2008 section as part of the 'Choice Exercise'; the effect of pensions tax charges on your benefits; details of future state pension or private pension provision; details of pension benefits for part-time workers with more than one employment; ill health benefits; survivor benefits payable in the event of your death; optional benefits, such as added years, additional pension or additional voluntary contributions.
Technical support: Note that the Microsoft Excel file type may not be compatible with devices that don't support Microsoft products and may not work if you don't have access to an application that can read this type of file. If you have any issues with the NHS Pension Calculator, please email us.
Glossary of commonly used terms.